Do I need to be registered to a Performing Rights Society?

You don’t need to belong to a performing rights society to submit music to the Sync Portal. However we highly recommend it, as this is how you will be paid royalties and receive your unique song identifier codes.

One of the core reasons behind submitting music to the Sync Portal in the first place is to earn money, so registering with a PRO would go a long way to increasing the amount of money earned from any successful placements.


  1. Marta

    we use Soundreef as Performing Rights Society but I cannot find it in the list of the organisations in the “create contacts” of the Sync Portal. Can you help?
    Kind regards,

  2. Scott Valentine Music

    I’m registered with SOCAN in Canada but also have “split” US representation with BMI and ASCAP handling things. Is any of this preventing me from getting started with Music Gateway? I’m really excited to find new opportunities for my music. Cheers!

  3. Brian Frank

    Hiya, by not being registered with a PRO, may prevent me from landing a sync? Also, would monies be collectible if a PRO was organized after a sync?

  4. Theo Nt

    Hi there,

    I am registered with BMI worldwide except of Greece in which I am registered with Autodia. I have also registered my music with Sound Exchange.
    More, I have released my music through CD BABY PRO. CD BABY claims collecting royalties for you fro exposure.
    Does that mean that they will collect backend royalties for me?
    Do I need to register with any other companies as well?

    One more thing, do I have to register every alternate mix of the same song to BMI and SoundExchange?That would be a lot of work!!!

    Thx in advance,

    1. Music Gateway Support

      Hey Theo,

      As your music has been released by CD Baby, yes they will collect the backend royalties for you.

      In regards to registering alternate mixes of the same song, you will have to ask BMI and SoundExchange as do not have this kind of information. We are a sync agent and music career-enabling technology platform that not only represents your music for sync opportunities but offers a creative community of thousands of global members you can work with on projects.

      I hope this helps! 🙂

  5. Joshua K


    If I have distributed my songs through DistroKid and they are collecting royalties for me (having an ISRC), do I need to register with a PRO to get and ISWC in order to begin syncing songs with musicgateway? If so what PRO do you recommend? Will I miss out on any royalties without a ISWC? I was looking at song trust, but BMI and ASCAP seem to be more common.



    1. Music Gateway Support

      Hey Joshua,

      We would always recommend registering with a PRO to make sure you do not miss out on any royalties. It is completely up to you which PRO you use.

      I hope this helps but please do let me know if you have any further questions.

      Merry Christmas!,


    1. Music Gateway Support

      Hey Francesco,

      It depends on which country you are based in. If you’re in the UK, I’d recommend PRS/PPL. However, if you’re elsewhere in the world a quick Google search will let you know which PRO’s operate in your country 🙂

      I hope this helps!



  6. Roman

    Hello! I registered at BMI, where total share of rights is 200% (instead of 100%). What should I set in “Owners Share” if I own all rights? 100% or 200%?

  7. Pedro


    Ditto is distributing my music with their own ISRC. I also have my own ISRC provided by PPL. My question is can a track have 2 different ISRC, one to be used by Ditto and another to be used on the portal?


  8. Hamish McKenzie

    Hello – I’ve uploaded couple of tracks and have applied for PRS membership. Can I complete song info now and update it when membership details come through?

Leave A Comment?