Playlists are the best way to share your music and to show off your musical brand, but as well as this, they can be an important professional tool when it comes to pitching your tracks to music industry professionals.
Keep reading to find out more!
How Do I Make a Playlist?
Making a playlist is a very simple process, just click on ‘Playlists‘ on the left-hand side to get started.
To create a playlist, select ‘New Playlist‘ and then it’s here you can input all of the important details.
- Upload Image – great for album artwork or a band/artist picture. Will upload from your computer files
- Playlist Title – this can be your album name or another relevant title
- Playlist Creator – put your artist name or your actual name rather than your Music Gateway username
- Public URL – you can personalise this URL to reflect your playlist, album, or artist name (no spaces though)!
- Click ‘Save’
When you’re ready, select the ‘Options‘ tab to add the following information about your playlist:
- Album Name – if your playlist contains your album
- Description – keep it concise! You can add the tracklist, track info, or anything else you think is relevant!
- Company Name – if you have one; this could also be the name of your management or label
- Email Address – so people listening to your playlist can email you or your management easily
- Website – link to your website, blog, or any other relevant band or artist site
- Facebook Profile – an artist profile or group (not your personal Facebook page)
- Twitter Profile – your band or artist Twitter profile
- Telephone Number – so clients listening to your playlist can call you or your management easily
- Download Options – when playlist recipients download your tracks, you choose what file format their downloads will be (there is the option to deselect both so that your tracks are not downloadable)
- Password Protection – ensures only individuals with the password can access your music
- Click ‘Save Options’ – very important!
Music industry professionals will expect you to have at least one up-to-date, professional-looking social media account – having a strong online presence to represent your brand is important to gain fans and to represent your music online.
Once you’ve added all of the information, you can now add your tracks to your playlist.
Click on the ‘Add Media‘ tab at the top of the page, then select all the tracks you want in your playlist. You can view the selected files at the top of the page. Once you’re happy with your selection, click ‘Submit‘.
And that’s it – you’ve created your playlist!
To view your live playlist, go to ‘Playlists’, then select your playlist. Click the ‘…‘ button, then select ‘View Playlist‘
Your playlist will then open, and show you how it looks to anyone you send it to:
If you’d like to edit your playlist, select the track you want to remove and click the red trash can icon. Click ‘Add Media‘ to add more tracks. To download a track, select the track then click the blue download icon.
Want to know how to make a good first impression with your playlists? Read more here.
Any questions? Leave a comment below.